Strawberry Buckwheat Scones

>> Thursday, October 6, 2011


The past long weekend totally speeded up my week.

How did Thursday arrive so quickly?

I might still be basking in the afterglow of the weekend.

And how can I not when it looked something like this?




So apart from the usual stuff, this week has also been...

...at times, quiet. Which is necessary for my introverted self, otherwise I'd feel so drained out. I read somewhere that introverts may appear calm on the outside, but their inner worlds are always "noisy". True that!

...mildly confusing. An online personality test tells me a suitable career would be: interior decorator/designer, clergy, child care or office manager...hmmm so far from what I do!

...rather organised. I am in process of categorising my food ideas into tiny boards (aka Pinterest). No more stray bookmarks/labels here, there and everywhere!

...filled with the book of Psalms. So good for the soul. And God blesses me with friends who faithfully keep me in their prayers (even across the Pacific Ocean!) ;)

...disciplined and defining. Somewhat. Or maybe just a little bit. :)


I also had a situation in my fridge. Something along the line of buying too much strawberries and not having enough room to store them.

I knew I had to deal with this problem asap so got my thinking/creative hat on straight away!

The first punnet turned into a rustic strawberry galette as a post-dinner treat...so bloody red!


Another punnet got blended with milk and some other goodies. 

Strawberry milk is THE childhood food memory for me. Obviously non-fresh ones with artificial colours and flavours. So good...yet so bad.


Then the last punnet turned into scones! Buckwheat scones, to be precise!

Buckwheat belongs to the 'eat more of' section in my book. It is known to lower cholesterol and has a rich supply of flavonoids and other good stuff. I love the taste of it (although some might find it an acquired taste). If you like the Japanese soba noodle (made of buckwheat of course!) then you'll probably enjoy baking buckwheat flour too. Oh, the flour make for great breakfast pancakes too!


This is definitely a twist on your normal scone recipe. I like the combo of the tartness of the strawberry with the earthiness of the buckwheat flour, as well as sweetness coming from the honey I smothered on the scones! 


So don't forget to drizzle the scones with some honey because mathematically buckwheat + honey = match!

And of course cream too, if you'd like!


Strawberry Buckwheat Scones
Inspired by 'Wa sweet recipe'
  • 150g buckwheat flour
  • 100g cake flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 75g unsalted butter, cubed
  • 120ml milk
  • 30g sugar (I used raw sugar)
  • 6-8 strawberries, diced
Preheat the oven to 200C.

1. In a large bowl, sift together the flours, salt, sugar and baking powder.

2. Cut butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with your fingertips. (The mixture should look like coarse crumbs).


3. In a measuring cup with the milk, add the strawberries to infuse for a short while. Then, add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.


4. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently a few times and then pat into a 2cm thick round. Using a round cutter (I think I used a 3cm one), cut out as many rounds as you can. Press dough together and cut out remaining rounds with the dough. 


5. Place scones onto prepared baking tray with baking/parchment paper, at least 1cm apart. 


6. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. This helps to brown the tops of the scones while baking.


7. Bake for around 13-15 minutes until golden.

Serve hot with honey and/or cream!


One thing I have desired of the LORD, 
That will I seek: 
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD 
All the days of my life, 
To behold the beauty of the LORD, 
And to inquire in His temple. 
For in the time of trouble 
He shall hide me in His pavilion; 
In the secret place of His tabernacle 
He shall hide me; 
He shall set me high upon a rock.
-Psalm 27:4-5

44 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart October 7, 2011 at 12:35 AM  

Well, you have been a busy girl! Lots of lovely creations from your kitchen!

Love the photo of the beach through the glasses :)

Sweet visiting with you, Viv!

Jeannie October 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM  

I love the dark red strawberries peeping out from the scones, looks so gorgeous! And yes, time has certainly flown by...soon it'll be Christmas again!

tartedujour October 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

An over abundance of strawberries... what a good dilemma to have! These scones are gems... so colorfully studded with brilliant red strawberries.

renee@sweetsugarbean October 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

Pretty, pretty scones! And can I just say I'm officially jealous of your beach? Lucky! Enjoy your weekend!

Janine October 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

Looks like you had a great weekend :) I only recently started baking with buckwheat, and am still trying to get used to it - mixing it up with strawberries and honey does sound like an awesome idea though :D

The Cilantropist October 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM  

OOoo, these scones look amazing! I am especially enticed by that last photo with the honey drizzled on the scone, but all your photos look fantastic -draws me right in. :) What if I wanted to replace the buckwheat? What do you recommend?

Viv October 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM  

Cilantropist: Thanks :) If you dont use buckwheat, just use all cake flour...so 250g of cake flour for this recipe! and you might want to chop the strawberries up finer than i did :P my chunks were too big :D

sugarpuffi October 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM  

WOW that looks delicious!! where can i get buckwheat?

Insensate October 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM  

that looks amazing... love all the pictures, they are beautiful

Russell at Chasing Delicious October 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM  

These scones look super scrumptious. I love the buckwheat and of course the fresh strawberries. Lovely shots!

Unknown October 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM  

Oh Pinterest, it's my drug, but I love it! I am already following some of your boards :))
My week as been full of little personal crisis...all this going on with stay hungry stay foolish just made me go nuts, I am now so irrequiet --but that must mean something! I might need one of those scones to calm down. I thin buckwheat also calms spirits and make people happier, especially with strawberries and honey. Yes. Going to the fruit and veg shop. Maybe I won't find strawberries, but some berries will do!

StarletStarlet October 8, 2011 at 4:26 AM  

The beach picture seen through the eye glass is quite exquisite Viv. Gawd, you take such a great photographs. I think the interior decorator / designer career may not be as far from the truth. You have such a keen eye for design. Maybe you can be a photo stylist, you know?

Btw, I have never baked using buckwheat before. How interesting! I still have a few strawberries left in the garden. I will either do this or make some smoothies ;)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef October 8, 2011 at 6:22 AM  

Lovely scones. Lovely vacation pics. Lovely post! :)

Nonna October 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM  

Good morning. We are new friends and you've received an award from me. Please go to my blog to see for yourself : )
http://seriousfoodforthesoul.blogspot.com

chopinandmysaucepan October 9, 2011 at 4:08 AM  

The weekend photos definitely looked so enticing and believe it or not, strawberry milk was also my all time childhood fave! Could literally drink litres!

Yi @ Yi Reservation October 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

That looks like one of the weekends I was having just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the weather is getting colder by the day.

Either Alice nor I has used buckwheat before...but these scones are so creative and delicious looking! We'll sure look into baking with buckwheat soon!

Nic@diningwithastud October 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

Oh wow you did well with the strawberries. These look so awesome! Never had buckweat flour but sounds great!

Dolly October 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

i love using seasonal fruit to make things..

wynyard has been constantly sellign strawberries 3 punnets for $5..

unfornatunely when i bought them home.. and waited til the weekend.. it went off.. how sad... i wanted to bake a cake.. love the scones... buckweat... sounds healthy!

Julie October 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM  

me and introverts *hi-5*. Lovely recipe didnt imagine it with buckwheat :D

hanushi October 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM  

Buckwheat flour, I haven't tried before... Wonder how it taste like... :)

Aizi October 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM  

scrumptious! i just bought some buckwheat flour recently, to make Breton pancakes with, but this looks really good too! already missing strawberries here tho'...

Quay Po Cooks October 10, 2011 at 2:28 AM  

I bought a packet of Buckwheat flour but have not use it yet. I think I am going to use it with this recipe. Can't wait to taste this pretty looking scones. The photo through the sunglasses is so cool!

Jessica's Dinner Party October 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM  

Ooh, I love buckwheat flour! Anything interesting and sounding healthy is something I always try out, at least once!

Natalie@DeconstructingTheHome October 11, 2011 at 1:11 AM  

Great pics and a great recipe! These would be a great breakfast treat especially with honey! Thanks for sharing!

Peanut,  October 11, 2011 at 3:32 AM  

So about half an hour ago I decided to use my last (and only) handful of tiny, incredibly fragrant strawberries for this recipe, and I've already eaten the first few scones straight from the oven. I've upped the sugar a bit because I didn't quite have enough strawberries - so nice. Will be having scones for breakfast tomorrow, if they last.

Thanks for a great (and fast!) recipe - and the lovely pictures!

Alice @ YiReservation October 11, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

Awww... this looks so delicious!! Can I have one please? I love how healthy it looks. buckwheat and strawberry hmmm hmmmm hmmmm

Anonymous,  October 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM  

The photos are beautiful, as always, Viv. Hope you had a great weekend!

Zoe October 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM  

I like the look of these scones. Having these strawberries embedded inside the buckwheat scones create lots of contrast in colours.

I smiled quietly reading about strawberry milk being your childhood drink. Mine is always chocolate milk.

Viv October 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

Peanut: So great to hear that you've tried this recipe ;) They're great brekkie treats! My batch didn't last for long either...haha. So dunno how they hold up overnight :)

Lori October 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM  

That photo through the sunglasses is brilliant. You need to get that entered in a contest! :) I am a huge scone fan so I love this variation!

Vivian - vxdollface October 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

I wish the days looked more like that too! Really feeling like lying on the sand by the ocean now :P
I've been on a strawberry spree too, it's the calling of summer :D Great idea on adding them into scones!

Von October 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Too many strawberries? Is that even possible? haha.... in our family, strawberries get eaten incredibly quickly (though I guess that's also because we have 4 people in our family!). The only time I've ever had anything buckwheat is in soba noodles....it sounds interesting (and healthy!) though- I might have to buy some buckwheat flour to play with ;)

Nami | Just One Cookbook October 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

Vivienne, you photos are absolutely gorgeous and give me such a cozy feeling. These scones are beautiful and your photography proves it so perfectly. I enjoy looking at your post!

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot October 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM  

mmm the scones looks goooodd and can I have one of those galettes please, the strawberries looks so inviting..

Juliana October 13, 2011 at 6:08 AM  

So nice the pictures of the beach...and the scones look delicious with the fresh strawberries in it.
Hope you are having a great week Viv :-)

Zoe October 13, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

Hi Viv, Saw your comments at my recent post. I look forward to see your soft dinner rolls. I've made them more than once and I must say that this recipe is 100% reliable and the rolls are very amazingly soft. My family simply love them and hope you will like them as much I do.

Zoe

Zoe October 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM  

Hi Viv, Sorry for my late reply. I think that the potato flakes are absolutely necessary for these soft rolls because I think it do help to retain the moisture of these rolls. They are available in Safeway or Coles as instant mashed potatoes at the canned vegetable section. You will love these rolls... I can't explain much until you bake and eat them yourself :D Good luck.

a meandering mango October 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

This is exactly the type of delicious baked treat that I love. Thanks for a great recipe - I'll have to make these soon!

Unknown January 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM  

Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of Childcare sydney

Mindy Lynn January 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM  

These are incredible! I agree that the honey and buckwheat are a dynamic duo. I substituted fresh cranberries and some chocolate chips that I had on hand instead of the strawberries and they turned out fantastic. :)

Unknown July 9, 2016 at 11:04 PM  

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.
www.y8gold.com , https://sites.google.com , www.frivallgames.com

Unknown August 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM  

This is one of the cult game now, a lot of people enjoy playing them . Also you can refer to the game :
gold mine strike | pokemon go 2
The game controls are shown just under . Movement mechanisms primarily include acceleration and tilting controls.
stickman games | stick war 2 | animal jam 2

dinhpham January 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM  

Great pics and a great recipe! These would be a great breakfast treat especially with honey! Y8 Arcade
Yepi 2017
Friv 2017
Kizi Games
Y8 Games

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP